Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Come On

Come on.
that's what my friends say.
They say,
girl,
go conquer Egypt, or something.
Get a ring on every finger.
Did you know,
those are not Nile crocodiles
doing the old snap and roll
in the shallows?
Those are my old loves.
Talk to them.
See what I'm about, on my good days.

I still have them, sometimes
(good days, I mean)
but the nights have gone molasses black for me,
though not half as sweet.
If you could love me,
then why won't you love me
like you did
the first time?
Come on, baby,
I need so little, and you possess so much--
every toss of your hair moves the planets.

Come on.
that's what my friends say.
They say,
do that strut, like you used to do.
But that was before I went so girl-weak and needy.
That was before I knew how you could please me.
Before the fall.
Before I met you.
_______


 


14 comments:

  1. Ah, the longing... such sweet despair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So hard to lose the programming that love can be earned, begged for, made to be where it isn't. This poem is a heartbreaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "every toss of your hair moves the planets."

    Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding love reaching out while in the midst of despair...like a lifeline being thrown to a drowning wo/man. Great one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds a bit too dangerous to love. Keep her at arms length. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it. The best lines were easily the couplet about molasses black nights not half as sweet, and the line "every toss of your hair moves the planets." The first is a delightful double comparison/contrast, which carries through the thought nicely, and second does what poetry does so well, which is condense all the gravity of an idea into a pinprick black hole of thought. Unlike this comment, which is rambling, long, and over now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Nile crocodile exes, the hair that shakes planets and the familiar sad ol' song..

    ReplyDelete
  8. shake it ... do the crocodile rock .. come on baby shake it off .. shake it out ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very poignant, in spite of the crocodiles:-) Love the hair-toss line and your closing lines especially much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love this. Every line. Every damn one! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you do away with the other blog? I loved it.

    GF Cleo did kill a brother & a sister, ya know, just in passing, so...

    The catalysts & inhibitors in life are many. ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the second stanza, especially these lines:

    "but the nights have gone molasses black for me"

    "I need so little, and you possess so much--
    every toss of your hair moves the planets."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your matter-of-fact style of voice in this. 'the nights have gone molasses black for me' oh that's good. And 'do that strut, like you used to do'...ha, I like that. I find that final stanza to be stirring and quite relatable too.

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?