Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Friday, May 13, 2016

Book Review: "The Castaways"

The CastawaysThe Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Apparently, I am the last woman in the country to discover Elin Hildebrand, but I can see why she is so popular. "The Castaways" is about a group of eight friends--four couples--who have been close for years. They all live on Nantucket Island (a character in itself) and they all are way more well-off than I will ever be, but this isn't one of those tiresome novels where it's all about stuff and glitz.

When one of the couples goes for an anniversary sail and are drowned in a mysterious accident, secrets begin to come out. Some of the friends were closer with another friend's spouse than was suspected, there may have been foul play, there were certainly lies and an undercurrent of restless emotions.

While the plot is engrossing, what I loved the best was the eight characters. They are all so human, so easy to relate to, and so marvelously drawn by the author, that loved spending time with them, and I cared about them all. There is no obvious hero or villain; they are all just human beings caught up in life. I wholeheartedly recommend "The Castaways" and look forward to reading more by this author.





View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a vacation in itself--it's always good to discover an author who can create living, believable characters. Don't worry about being the last woman to find her, though--this is the first I've heard of her(of course, not my genre, either, but still...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shay--I've avoided her like the plague (I'm not drawn to "beach reads") but you've managed to intrigue me.

    Thanks for the review (and for the review of "Leaving Time"). Four out of five stars is quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I must be the last woman in the country to discover her!

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?